Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! REMEMBER: No going to a store, gas station, or spending any money for the entire 7 days (unless we say otherwise)! And please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
A massive ice storm has stuck your town over night. The drastic shifts in fall temperatures caused a freezing rain. Ice has accumulated on the power lines causing major damage and knocking out power across the region.
Goal: Practice living (and cooking) without power
- Keep your family warm (or cool) as furnace blowers and A/C will not work without electricity
- Cook and clean up all of your meals without power
- Do an inventory of your fuel storage, how many meals can you cook with your stored fuel?
- Before dark, locate flashlights, candles, or other light sources. Assess your battery supply.
- Plan a fun family activity tonight with no electronic devices (board games, ghost stories, shadow puppets, be creative!)
- FILL OUT YOUR MASTER WORKSHEET TODAY – This will be important later this week!
SHARING TIME: Visit today’s Facebook thread and share a picture of something you are cooking or an activity you are doing without using electricity. (It’s ok to use a computer or phone ONLY for sharing purposes!)
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores, and no restaurants.
- DO NOT USE POWER AT ALL TODAY (even if you have a generator, it helps to practice!)
- No laptops, ipads, phones, etc. (even if you have a way to charge them, don’t!)
- The food in your fridge has gone bad, but freezer food is ok still
- Make bread- from start to finish with no power
- Assume all your freezer food has gone bad too
- The weather outside is still horrible, you must cook all meals indoors
Helpful Posts on This Topic:
- Powerless Cooking Class
- 50 Ways to Keep Cool When the Power is Out
- Emergency Heat Sources
- Homemade Bread with No Electricity
Helpful Products for This Topic:
We put together a master worksheet for you to fill out each day of the challenge. There is a separate page to list the things you need to buy, do, and learn after each day of the challenge. Include a due date of when you’d like to accomplish the task and check it off when you do it! Fill it out at the end of each day while your memory is fresh.
Check your email first thing in the morning!
-Jodi Weiss Schroeder