Collect a 2 week’s supply of emergency water storage (1 gallon per person per day). Buy 55 gallon barrels, get several 5-6 gallon jugs, or fill up empty soda/juice bottles. Make sure it is food grade plastic, but not milk jugs as they deteriorate too quickly!
- Most sources recommend 1 gallon of water storage per person, PER day, for 3-14 days for DRINKING. Make sure to consider storing enough for pets and cleaning/cooking as well.
- Store water in “FOOD GRADE” or PETE plastic containers (stay away from milk jugs, but soda or juice bottles are suitable).
- Water Bricks are another good option. They are a heavier duty solution, can be stored outside, and can be stacked 3/4 bricks high. With a 3.5 gallon capacity they are transportable and easy to use in an emergency.
- Store water away from too much light or heat. Dark containers are ideal.
- Clean, sanitize, and rinse all containers prior to use.
- Do not use containers previously used to store non-food products.
- Store water in multiple sizes of containers to suit different emergency needs
- Do not store water containers directly on concrete as the chemicals can leach into your water through the plastic. Place on cardboard, wood pallets, or other materials.
- Non-chlorinated water (most municipal water is chlorinated) should be treated with unscented liquid household chlorine bleach (5 to 6% sodium hypochlorite). See the chart below for appropriate amount to add to water.
- Boiling is the safest way to clean water, however you can also use household liquid bleach to kill microorganisms.
- Rotate your water storage at least once every year
- Alternate water sources include: Hot water heater tank, toilet tanks, water pipes, ice in freezer, canned foods, rivers, streams, ponds and lakes, melted snow and ice, rain water, etc.
|Water Pouches: These portable mylar pouches are perfect for 72 hour kits and to stash in your car. With a 5 year shelf life they are a great little emergency item.|
|WaterBricks: 3.5 gallon capacity bricks that can stack. Durable plastic that can store inside or outside. Great for storing in small spaces like closets or under beds.|
|Berkey Water Purifiers: High quality filters that both purify and filter water. Useful for emergency water storage as well as every day drinking water.|