Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! In order to receive each day’s emergency scenario in your email please sign up for the 7 Day Challenge email list.
REMEMBER: No going to a store, gas station, or spending any money for the entire 7 days! And please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
DAY 6: Flat Tire
WHILE OUT ON A NICE DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE GETS A FLAT TIRE. You don’t have cell service so you need to change the tire on your own. When you finish changing the tire you discover your car battery has also died! Your kids/friends/spouse are starving, hot/cold, and bored. How will you survive today’s challenge?
Daily Tasks and Limitations
- Take a drive out in nature with your family or a few friends.
- Change your car’s tire out on the side of the road BY YOURSELF (view tutorial)
- Evaluate your Car Emergency Kit. Do you have enough supplies to keep your passengers entertained, kept warm/cool, and given a snack and a drink? (check out my car kit overview here)
- You must have jumper cables or an auto-battery charger in your car to charge the battery.
Don’t have any? BUY SOME NOW!
- If you have children of driving age, give them a lesson on how to change a tire and make them practice it at least once. If you don’t know how to do it yourself, follow the tutorial or get someone to teach YOU.
- Take pictures of your adventures today and post them in our facebook group.
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores or gas stations, and no restaurants.
- For women, you must change the tire yourself. No cheating and getting your husband to do it.
- You can’t call roadside service because you are in a dead cell phone area.
- While changing the tire you accidentally locked your keys in the car. Can you pick the lock?
I will be posting a lot on instagram (@jodi_foodstoragemadeeasy) over the next few days as I go through the challenges on my own. Come join the fun there and use hash tag #fsme7daychallenge if you are sharing your own adventures as well. Tag me in your stories so I can reshare them!
Print out the worksheets below and add items you need to do, to learn, and to buy as you find holes in your preparedness plans throughout the week. Print multiple sheets as needed.
-Jodi Weiss Schroeder