Welcome to the 2023 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared!
In order to receive each day’s emergency scenario in your email please sign up for the 7 Day Challenge email list or subscribe via text by texting 7daychallenge to 717-788-3663.
REMEMBER: To get the most out of the challenge, don’t be too literal about the scenarios. Modify them to fit YOUR family’s situation. Also, try to actually DO each day’s tasks. Don’t try to justify why you wouldn’t “need” to. The point is to PRACTICE our skills!
DAY 1: LIGHTS OUT (Cyber Attack)
A CYBER ATTACK HAS STRUCK YOUR COUNTRY. Power has been shut down completely across the entire country. Cell phone towers were also hit in the attack so communication will be a struggle. Today we will cook, survive, and entertain ourselves without electricity for the entire day!
- You must survive today with no electricity. If you have a generator please consider that it is BROKEN for this scenario so you can practice all of the below tasks.
- You must cook all of your meals without using electricity, you can cook outdoors or indoors (if you have a gas stove pretend it is broken, that’s cheating).
- No using the INTERNET or your cell phone today, even if you have solar chargers.
- You can’t heat or cool your home using electricity.
- Only use non-electric light sources (candles, flashlights, etc.)
- Entertain your kids (and yourself) with no tv or internet … say what?
- ADVANCED OPTION: Pretend your power has been off for several days and cook only using pantry foods (nothing from the fridge or freeze)
- Share your experiences in our Facebook Group daily thread (you may use the Internet JUST for this)
📸 Take a picture or video of you cooking one of your meals without electricity today. 📸
SHARE YOUR PHOTO/VIDEO AND ENTER TO WIN TODAY’S PRIZE: A BUTANE STOVE
- Post in the Facebook Group daily thread
- Do a public post on Facebook and send me a link to it
- Share on Instagram #fsme7daychallenge
(tag me @jodi_foodstoragemadeeasy)
- Do a short video on youtube or tiktok and send it to me
- Text the picture/video to me at 717-788-3663
You must tag me or send me the links so that I can see your entries!
Inventory your resources for surviving a powerless emergency. Here are a few questions to ask yourself :
- Cooking Appliances: Do you have a way to cook food indoors? Do you have a solar cooking option to conserve fuel? Can you easily boil water? Do you know how to cook with your powerless cooking tools? (view powerless cooking class here)
- Cooking Fuel: How much of each fuel do you have stored? How many meals can you cook with what you have stored? What is your plan for if/when you run out? (view cooking fuel overview)
- Light: What light sources do you have? Where are they located? Do you have spare batteries for flashlights? Do you have a way to charge solar lanterns? Are your matches stored with your candles? Does your family know where to find these items?
- Heating/Cooling: How will you stay warm without power? How will you stay cool without power? Do you have battery powered fans? Portable heaters? (view posts on emergency heating and cooling)
- Communication: How will you contact your family if you don’t have access to the cell phone network? Do you have a plan for how to get everyone home safely? Do you have a landline or HAM radio for communication? Walkie talkies to use in close range?
- Generators: While we didn’t want to use generators today, it is worth thinking about them as a legitimate preparedness item. Do you have one? Do you want one? Do you want solar or some other fuel? How do you store fuel? What can you power with one? How will you use it in an emergency?
Print out the worksheets below and add items you need to do, to learn, and to buy as you find holes in your preparedness plans throughout the week. Print multiple sheets as needed. These worksheets will become your road map for improving your preps over the next few months.
I will also be posting a lot on instagram (@jodi_foodstoragemadeeasy) over the next few days as I go through the challenges on my own. Come join the fun there and use hash tag #fsme7daychallenge if you are sharing your own adventures as well.
-Jodi Weiss Schroeder