Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! REMEMBER: No going to a store, gas station, or spending any money for the entire 7 days! And please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
A neighboring state has been struck by a nuclear weapon. All water sources in your area have been contaminated with radiation. Only the water that is already stored in your home is safe to use.
Goal: Survive today using ONLY stored water
- Go and shut off the main water supply to your house immediately (view tutorial)
- Cook all of your meals (and clean up) using only stored water
- Every family member must “shower” or bathe today
- Research your water purifier/filter and determine if it will filter out radiation
- Carefully track ALL your water usage, divide that by how much you have stored and calculate how many days supply you ACTUALLY have
- SHARING TIME: Share a picture of a way you are using your stored water today on our Facebook page or on Instagram (use tags @foodstoragemadeeasy and #FSME7daychallenge)or write up your experiences and what you learned in the blog comments or on our Facebook discussion thread today.
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores, and no restaurants
- Assume any water attached to your pipes is contaminated (no using the water heater or toilet tanks)
- No turning on your water AT ALL (actually shut it off to avoid temptation)
- You haven’t done laundry in two weeks, you HAVE to do a load today
- Don’t waste stored water on “flushing”, use alternate sanitation methods
Make sure your fill out today’s Report Card to see how well you did, to keep track of areas you can improve, to remember things you need to do, and things you need to buy. Use the data to make a game plan to take you to the next level of preparedness, whatever that may be.
Remember — This year we are going to be offering the chance to win daily PRIZES for people who are participating in one of the following ways:
- Commenting or posting pictures on our Facebook page
- Loading pictures on your instagram tagging @foodstoragemadeeasy and #FSME7daychallenge
- Commenting on today’s blog post with how you did
- Submitting pictures/stories to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
1 set of 4 WaterBricks (wonderful containers to store water anywhere)
TODAY’S WINNER: Username OkieSister who commented on the blog :
We got through the day on about 8 gallons, including baths, no hair shampooing, and water for the dogs. Did not do laundry, did clean the bathroom and do dishes twice. Accounting for weekly laundry I would feel more comfy at about 15 gallons a day. At that number we have ability to store a little over two weeks, and I would like at least a month. Great challenge!
Email us a email@example.com to make arrangements for us to send you your prize
-Jodi Weiss Schroeder