Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! Please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
In order to receive each day’s emergency scenario in your email please sign up for the 7 Day Challenge email list.
REMEMBER: No going to a store, gas station, or spending any money for the entire 7 days … and on that note, here is DAY 2!
DAY 2: Car Accident
THERE HAS BEEN A CAR ACCIDENT AND YOUR LOVED ONE IS IN A COMA. If your spouse is the one who handles the bills, you will need to figure out how to do that. Review your estate plans and life insurance policies because you don’t know what the outcome of this coma will be. If you are unmarried consider this scenario for an elderly parent or an adult child (or yourself).
Daily Tasks and Limitations
For today’s tasks, consider that whoever normally pays the bills is the one in a coma. If this scenario doesn’t resonate with you, still do the tasks as they are important. For example, I am a single mom so I need to have these things in place and let someone know about them!
- Does your spouse have a living will? You will need to locate it to determine his/her wishes in regards to life support. If neither of you have one, look into what it would take to get one.
- Do you and your spouse have power of attorney for each other? You may need to be able to sign on accounts that are only in the other’s name.
- Do you and your spouse have a last will and testament? If he/she were to pass on you will want to make sure your affairs are in order.
- Do you and your spouse have life insurance policies? Do you know where they are? Do you have enough coverage? Locate your policy and review it now.
- Make a list of all of your bills that need to be paid and how they are paid (auto-pay, checks, cash, venmo). Don’t forget things like memberships, kids’ lessons and sports, etc. (Remember, you can’t ask your spouse … he/she is in a coma).
- Make a list of all of your online financial institutions including the login information (banks, credit cards, loans, retirement accounts, utilities, etc.) you will need to know these if you are taking over the bookkeeping for your family.
- Share your experiences today over in the facebook group.
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores or gas stations, and no restaurants.
- Whichever spouse is in a coma gets a “day off” from household duties today. You aren’t allowed to help with any cooking, cleaning, or child care duties.
- No asking your spouse about any of this information.
- Your computer is broken so you can’t rely on any bookmarks or passwords that have been auto-saved.
- Research estate planning and set up an appointment with an advisor in your area to go over all of your documents, plans, etc.
- At the end of the day, go over your lists with your spouse and see how much you got right. Complete the list and put it in a safe place in case of an emergency in the future.
Print out the worksheets below and add items you need to do, to learn, and to buy as you find holes in your preparedness plans throughout the week.
REMEMBER, TOMORROW’S CHALLENGE WILL BE DIFFERENT
Check back first thing in the morning or subscribe to be notified of the next challenge!
MAKE SURE to visit the group page on Facebook to discuss your progress and share pictures and tips. It’s a great place to learn from other people’s experience and knowledge.
I will also be posting a lot on instagram (@foodstoragemadeeasy) over the next few days. Come join the fun there with hash tag #fsme7daychallenge
-Jodi Weiss Schroeder