Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! Please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
In order to receive each day’s emergency scenario in your email please sign up for the 7 Day Challenge email list.
REMEMBER: No going to a store, gas station, or spending any money for the entire 7 days … and on that note, here is DAY 3’s challenge!
DAY 3: Wind Storm
A MASSIVE WIND STORM PASSED THROUGH AND POWER LINES ARE KNOCKED DOWN. The power is out today, however, the wind storm has passed so it is safe to go outside. You must cook all of your meals without power today (inside or out). You must also entertain your family without the use of electronics (the horror!)
Daily Tasks and Limitations
- Keep your family warm (see list) or cool (see list) today as furnace blowers and A/C will not work without electricity. Turn off your furnace so you won’t be tempted to cheat!
- You must cook all of your meals without using electricity, you can cook outdoors or indoors. Consider any food in your fridge/freezer as off-limits (the wind storm hit a few days ago and the food has gone bad already). Must use pantry items only!
- Electronic devices can only be used if you have a way to charge them without electricity.
- Survive the evening with no lights (locate candles and flashlights before it gets dark!)
- Play some fun games, snuggle in with a good book, or tell ghost stories in the dark. Post a picture of whatever activity you choose!
- Assess your supplies and make a list of things you should stock up on after the challenge (fuel, batteries, candles, etc.) How long could you function with no power?
- Share your experiences today over in the facebook group.
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores or gas stations, and no restaurants.
- DO NOT USE ELECTRICITY AT ALL TODAY.
- Do not open your fridge or freezer as you want the food to last a few days.
- Use a different powerless cooking tool for each of your meals. Take pictures and share on social media.
- No laptops, iPads, PHONES, etc. (even if you have a way to charge them, don’t!)
Print out the worksheets below and add items you need to do, to learn, and to buy as you find holes in your preparedness plans throughout the week.
REMEMBER, TOMORROW’S CHALLENGE WILL BE DIFFERENT
Check back first thing in the morning or subscribe to be notified of the next challenge!
MAKE SURE to visit the group page on Facebook to discuss your progress and share pictures and tips. It’s a great place to learn from other people’s experience and knowledge.
-Jodi Weiss Schroeder