Welcome to DAY 4 of this year’s 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing out our food storage to see just how prepared our pantries are for an emergency! Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency or situation that will test some aspect of our preparedness plans. Please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
In order to receive each day’s emergency scenario in your email please sign up for the 7 Day Challenge email list.
REMEMBER: No going to a grocery store, restaurant, or spending any money for the entire 7 days … and on that note, let’s get started!
DAY 4: Throw the Switch Thursday
The power is down in your neighborhood today. You will need to feed your family without using electricity today. Give yourself a challenge and don’t use your stove if you happen to have a gas stove. We want to PRACTICE not come up with ways to avoid the tasks. Please note: you don’t need to avoid electricity for things besides cooking unless you WANT to do the advanced task!”
- Do not use electricity for any of your cooking today!
- Two of your meals MUST be “cooked” no cheating and just making PB&J all day.
- Do an inventory of your powerless cooking tools and fuels. How long could you survive a powerless emergency?
- Post a picture or video of one of your meals today. Bonus points for including the recipe!
- Live the entire day without electricity, not just for cooking. Are you up for the challenge?
- Use a different cooking method for each of your three meals.
Print out the worksheets below and add items you need to do, to learn, and to buy as you find holes in your preparedness plans throughout the week.
REMEMBER, TOMORROW’S CHALLENGE WILL BE DIFFERENT
Check back first thing in the morning or subscribe to be notified of the next challenge!
-Jodi Weiss Schroeder