Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared!
In order to receive each day’s emergency scenario in your email please sign up for the 7 Day Challenge email list.
REMEMBER: No going to a store, gas station, or spending any money for the entire 7 days! And please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
DAY 1: Gas Leak
THERE IS A GAS LEAK IN YOUR HOME. You have 5 minutes to evacuate! You cannot turn any electronics on or off (including lights and opening your garage door) for fear of starting a fire. Grab what you can carry, make sure your kids and pets are safe, and make a plan for what you will do next. Since there is a serious risk of fire you do not know if your house will be there when you get back.
Daily Tasks and Limitations
- If you don’t already have a written evacuation list, your first task is to MAKE ONE!
(Click here to download a cute evacuation list printable you can use if you’d like)
- Pick a surprise time sometime today when all your family will be home to evacuate (don’t tell them).
- At your chosen time, start your timer and announce the evacuation, see how far down your list you can get in 5 minutes. (Remember you will not be able to use your car to evacuate so plan accordingly)
- Evacuate at least a few blocks away with all of your belongings and stay away for at least 1 hour until it is “safe” to return to your home.
- While gone, go over your insurance documents (you grabbed those didn’t you?) and make sure you have things properly documented in case of a house fire and total loss of your home.
- Share your experiences today over in the facebook group.
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores or gas stations, and no restaurants.
- Do not do anything that uses electricity as you leave your home including turning on/off lights or electronics or opening your garage door.
- You cannot come back to your home for at least one hour.
- Stay evacuated until bedtime, including eating emergency food for dinner.
- Your entire neighborhood is being evacuated so you must walk at least one mile away carrying all of your belongings.
- One member of your household twisted their ankle during the evacuation and must be carried to your evacuation location.
Print out the worksheets below and add items you need to do, to learn, and to buy as you find holes in your preparedness plans throughout the week. Print multiple sheets as needed.
I will also be posting a lot on instagram (@jodi_foodstoragemadeeasy) over the next few days as I go through the challenges on my own. Come join the fun there and use hash tag #fsme7daychallenge if you are sharing your own adventures as well.
-Jodi Weiss Schroeder