Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! In order to receive each day’s emergency scenario in your email please sign up for the 7 Day Challenge email list.
REMEMBER: No going to a store, gas station, or spending any money for the entire 7 days! And please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
DAY 3: Natural Disaster
A NATURAL DISASTER HAS STRUCK YOUR AREA! For today’s challenge, it’s choose your own adventure. Choose a natural disaster that is common to your area and play out that scenario. Your power, water, and gas lines have all been disrupted so today we get to live a true emergency situation. How well will you “survive”?
Daily Tasks and Limitations
- Come up with a list of all the common “disaster” situations that may occur in your area. For each scenario decide whether you will shelter-in-place or evacuate. Take note of any special preparations needed for that particular scenario.
- Keep your family warm or cool with depending on temperatures where you live
- You must cook at least two meals today using your powerless cooking tools (not just eating no-cook meals)
- Your fridge food has gone bad without electricity, but your freezer food is still ok to use!
- Do a fuel inventory. How many meals can you cook with the fuel you have on hand?
- You must wash your dishes, your clothes, and yourself without using running water. If you don’t have good tools to make this convenient consider adding them to your “need to buy” list.
- Entertain your kids (and yourself) with no electronics. If you have a way to charge devices you can use them sparingly, especially to report on your day’s challenge.
- Share your experiences today over in the facebook group.
(Make it even more impactful by sharing PICTURES! I love to see how YOU are “surviving” )
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores or gas stations, and no restaurants.
- Do not use any electricity today (a generator or solar battery charger is fine, but still try to conserve energy!)
- Do not use running water today, even if you have well water (you can flush toilets but only with stored water, so use them sparingly)
- No furnace, air conditioner, or swamp coolers as they require utilities
- No cooking with gas!
- Pretend your phone, laptop, ipad, etc. are all dead and you have no way to charge them. Can you live for a day without your phone? (You can report back tomorrow on your experiment)
- Your sewage lines are backed up and you can’t use indoor toilets at all 😬
I will be posting a lot on instagram (@jodi_foodstoragemadeeasy) over the next few days as I go through the challenges on my own. Come join the fun there and use hash tag #fsme7daychallenge if you are sharing your own adventures as well. Tag me in your stories so I can reshare them!
Print out the worksheets below and add items you need to do, to learn, and to buy as you find holes in your preparedness plans throughout the week. Print multiple sheets as needed.
-Jodi Weiss Schroeder