Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared. This is the FINAL day of the challenge! If you want to be notified when next year’s challenge is about to start please sign up for the 7 Day Challenge email list.
REMEMBER: No going to a store, gas station, or spending any money for the entire 7 days! And please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
DAY 7: Bed Rest
YOU HAD A MAJOR SURGERY AND WERE PLACED ON BED REST. You can start this task at any point today depending on how ambitious you want to be. You will need to make sure you family has rides, is fed, and entertained all while you get to remain in bed (if you are married you can fight over who is the one on bed rest or you can both be and have your kids fend for themselves)
Daily Tasks and Limitations
- Plan an easy dinner that your children (or non-cooking spouse) can make tonight– no cooking it in advance
My meal-in-a-jar recipes are a great option!
- Find rides for your kids to school and other activities.
- See if you can work from home today (if not, you can start this challenge after work)
- Take care of your kids/spouse for the evening, all from your bed
- While you are on bed rest, fill out this questionnaire about the 7 day challenge so I can improve on it for next year
- CELEBRATE!!! Give yourself a huge pat on the back for all you accomplished and learned this week.
- Take pictures of your adventures today and post them in our facebook group.
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores or gas stations, and no restaurants.
- Once you “start” your bed rest, you cannot leave the bed except to go to the bathroom (can we say MOVIE NIGHT?)
- No cooking dinner or getting take-out (all your dreams are coming true)
- Make a list of “easy meals” that your family could make without your help. Add the ingredients to them to your shopping list so you can put some kits together for future “emergencies”. Your family will thank you!
I will be posting a lot on instagram (@jodi_foodstoragemadeeasy) over the next few days as I go through the challenges on my own. Come join the fun there and use hash tag #fsme7daychallenge if you are sharing your own adventures as well. Tag me in your stories so I can reshare them!
Print out the worksheets below and add items you need to do, to learn, and to buy as you find holes in your preparedness plans throughout the week. Print multiple sheets as needed.
-Jodi Weiss Schroeder