Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! REMEMBER: No going to a store, gas station, or spending any money for the entire 7 days (unless we say otherwise)! And please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
Scientists are reporting that a solar flare is going to be erupting in the next few days. You may lose power for an extended period of time. Today your task is to inventory all of your powerless cooking supplies and practice using each one so you are confident in your ability to use it!
Goal: Practice cooking without power and assess your fuel supplies
- Pull out every stove/oven option you have for powerless cooking. Make sure you know where they are and have all the accessories located for them.
- Inventory all of your fuel supplies.
- Calculate how many meals can you cook based on the fuel that you currently have. Use our fuels handout for a guideline on calculating.
- Practice cooking at least ONE THING using each of your cooking tools (this can be as simple as boiling water or baking cookies)
- Don’t forget to add more fuel to your daily worksheet list if you don’t have a big enough supply to meet your needs.
- FILL OUT YOUR MASTER WORKSHEET TODAY – Doing it as you practice each day will help you remember what you want to include.
SHARING TIME: Visit today’s Facebook thread and share a picture of you cooking something without electricity. How prepared do you feel you would be to face this type of emergency?
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores, and no restaurants.
- Do not use any of your regular kitchen appliances today (no gas or electric stoves). We want to practice practice practice.
- Do not use electricity to “prep” any meals (no wheat grinders, food processors, etc.) We want to see what it will really be like when the solar flare hits.
- Make a #10 can stove.
- Make a #10 can grill.
- Make a cardboard box oven.
- If you don’t need any of these tools give them to a family member or friend who you know isn’t prepared for an extended powerless emergency.
Helpful Posts on This Topic:
Helpful Products for This Topic:
- All-American Sun Oven
- Volcano Collapsible Grill
- Helius Rocket Stove
- HERC Tealight Candle Ovens
- InstaFire Emergency Cooking Fuel
We put together a master worksheet for you to fill out each day of the challenge. There is a separate page to list the things you need to buy, do, and learn after each day of the challenge. Include a due date of when you’d like to accomplish the task and check it off when you do it! Fill it out at the end of each day while your memory is fresh.
Check your email first thing in the morning!
-Jodi Weiss Schroeder