Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency, or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! REMEMBER: No going to a store, or spending any money for the entire 7 days! And please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
A disaster has occurred near the water supply source for your town. All of the water supply has been contaminated and is no longer drinkable or useable for cooking/washing/etc. It is estimated that it will be several days before things are restored to normal. For today’s tasks, assume it is the end of the third day of having no water.
- Go and shut off the main water supply to your house immediately (view tutorial)
- You must find a way for you (and your family if applicable) to bathe or shower today
- Cook all of your meals with only the water you have in storage
- Locate the nearest source of fresh water to your home
- Print out some resources on alternate water sources and water purification in case the contamination is prolonged.
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores, and no restaurants.
- You can’t use a water purifier for your tap water, the contamination is too bad.
- Remember that this is the third day without water and account for that when you consider how much you have stored.
- Also remember … toilets require water to “flush”.
- Go to the nearest source of fresh water and fill up several water containers.
- Purify that water with either a water purifier or an alternate purification method.
REMEMBER, TOMORROW’S CHALLENGE WILL BE DIFFERENT.
How long would you have lasted under these conditions?
Make sure your fill out today’s Report Card to see how well you did, to keep track of areas you can improve, to remember things you need to do, and things you need to buy. Use the data to make a game plan to take you to the next level of preparedness, whatever that may be.