Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency, or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! REMEMBER: No going to a store, or spending any money for the entire 7 days! And please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
You just discovered that you have some kind of allergy to an unknown preservative. Since you aren’t able to isolate what it is exactly, you now need to avoid ALL preservatives and start cooking all of your food from scratch. This includes making a loaf of bread. Remember, no going to the store. **A little rule of thumb: you have to know where the ingredient comes from, and be able to pronounce the ingredients on any canned item you use (meaning a can of tomatoes is ok, but not a can of spaghetti sauce)**
- Cook breakfast from scratch
- Cook lunch from scratch
- Cook dinner from scratch
- Bake a loaf of homemade bread
- Print out some of your favorite recipes to use in case the internet is down during an emergency
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores, and no restaurants.
- Do not use ANY pre-packaged or convenience-type foods. No mixes, boxed cereals, canned soups or sauces etc. If you can’t pronounce all the ingredients and say where it came from, it’s probalby a NO go.
- Do not buy or borrow ingredients. Use only what you have stored.
- Make a delicious dessert from scratch.
- Plan an entire week worth of meals you could make out of your current food supplies.
- Do some research on the health benefits of eating less preservatives.
REMEMBER, TOMORROW’S CHALLENGE WILL BE DIFFERENT.
How long would you have lasted under these conditions?
Make sure your fill out today’s Report Card to see how well you did, to keep track of areas you can improve, to remember things you need to do, and things you need to buy. Use the data to make a game plan to take you to the next level of preparedness, whatever that may be.