In the story, many people were at work, living away from home, out of the country, etc. Communications were entirely shut down and the only way to find out if loved ones were ok was to walk to wherever they were. For several weeks there wasn’t any radio communication for news/help outside of their local community.
QUESTIONS TO PONDER
- Does your family have a set meeting place thought of beforehand?
- Think about your daily work commute, what route you would take home?
- What should you keep in your car to help you make a long walk home?
- What plans could you make in order to help/check on the safety of extended family further away? (i.e. does anyone have an old car? Is there a central location people could meet? etc.)
- Are both spouses equally knowledgable in survival methods in case you are separated at the time of the attack?
- What sorts of radios would work after an EMT or how would you protect at least one to keep it functional?
- If manual phone lines can be rigged up, do you have a landline phone?
- What skills could you learn that could help restore communication methods?
DISCUSSIn our comments section below, ask questions, discuss your thoughts on this topic, and these questions. We will be covering a lot of the other issues over the next three days, so to keep it organized please stick with this topic.
We encourage everyone who participates to do so in a very respectful manner. As we read the novel, we soon became very aware that the discussions around this book could become very political, and personal. Such topics have a tendency to bring out strong opinions. Please share your opinions in a kind, and mature way. We reserve the right to, and will delete any comments that may be considered offensive or encourage illegal or unethical activities.
Click the links below to “subscribe by email” or “subscribe by rss” to help you easily follow the conversation and discussion after you make your posts.