Determine which type of shelf system you want to use and purchase one shelf to get started. Build your own, buy plastic or metal shelves, or splurge and buy a fancy can rotation system.
- Don’t let small spaces intimidate you. For a comprehensive list of helpful ideas view our Small Spaces Storage Solutions post
- There are a wide variety of shelf options available. Determine the amount you feel comfortable spending and consider what will suit your needs best.
- Options for canned goods and other Three Month Supply foods:
- Build Your Own – Cheap & offers the most flexibility, but time-intensive
- Inexpensive metal or plastic shelving (i.e. from Walmart) – A cheap and easy way to get started, shelves may not be as durable
- Higher quality metal shelves – Heavy duty hardware store shelves should have no problem with bowing or collapsing under heavy weights.
- Deluxe Can Rotation System – Most expensive option, but very convenient for easily rotating through foods. Found at ShelfReliance.com
- Start with one set of shelves and add more as your food storage grows.
- Plastic may be better than metal for storing heavier items (cheap metal shelves tend to bow in the middle).
- Adjustable shelf heights will be useful as you store different types and sizes of foods and cans.
- Clear a space near your shelves for 5 gallon buckets/water containers/etc. Cover with old carpet or pallets to avoid storing directly on concrete.
Diagram to build your own can rotating rack food storage shelves out of cardboard. This diagram can be a little bit complex so we did a step-by-step tutorial you can view here: “How to Build Your Own Can Rotating Rack”.
Featured Posts on this Topic
Step 1 Sponsors