Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! REMEMBER: No going to a store, gas station, or spending any money for the entire 7 days (unless we say otherwise)! And please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
Your state has undergone a complete financial meltdown. For now, electricity is still running but public water services have been shut down temporarily until a resolution can be determined. It may take a few days before a stop-gap measure can be put into place to restore service.
Goal: Practice living with no running water
- Go and shut off your main water line in case it is not purified when services are restored (review this post if you don’t know how)
- If you have any empty water containers … you have ONE HOUR from the time you read this to go and fill them all up, then you can use them as a resource for today
- Prepare all your meals without running water
- Clean all of your dishes using only stored water (practice water conservation tricks)
- You must find a way for you (and your family if applicable) to bathe or shower today
- Find the nearest source of fresh water to your home, bring some home and purify it to conserve some of the water you have stored
- Do a load of laundry … without running water!
- Calculate how much water you used today, how long can you live on what you have stored?
- FILL OUT YOUR MASTER WORKSHEET TODAY – This will be important later this week!
SHARING TIME: Visit today’s Facebook thread and share your experiences on what you think was the hardest task for you.
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores, and no restaurants.
- Do not use running water at all, make sure to do task #1 to keep from accidentally turning it on.
- You can’t flush toilets unless you use up your precious stored water.
- Sewage plants have been shut down as well, no flushing toilets even if you use stored water
- Assume services have been off for a while, you have used up all of the stored water in your home
- Your car is in the shop and you must go collect water without a vehicle
Helpful Posts on This Topic:
- How To Deal With Long Term Water Loss (Water Saving Tips)
- Water Storage Containers: Pros and Cons
- Water Filtration versus Water Purification
- How to Shut Off Your Main Water Supply
Helpful Products for This Topic:
- Berkey Water Filters
- Water Bricks
- Sawyer Point Zero TWO Bucket Filter
- Sawyer Mini 4 Pack Water Filtration System
We put together a master worksheet for you to fill out each day of the challenge. There is a separate page to list the things you need to buy, do, and learn after each day of the challenge. Include a due date of when you’d like to accomplish the task and check it off when you do it! Fill it out at the end of each day while your memory is fresh.
Check your email first thing in the morning!