If you remember from our New Years Resolutions post, I wanted to start using more legumes in my cooking. I have been sticking with it, however I discovered that having these legumes around in my lazy susan pantry was messing with my normal flow! I had to figure out a way to store them in a usable and tidy way – otherwise using them wouldn’t be all that fun anymore. Just ask Jodi how crazy I get around clutter. (Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui is my new favorite book- Jodi mocks me for it, but I don’t LOSE THINGS ahem).
Anyways, I was on a mission to tidy my lazy susan. This is how I did it:
1. I took an inventory of all the grains and legumes I use regularly
2. I determined if I used them in big, medium, or small quantities
3. I went around to a bunch of different stores looking at containers and prices
4. I settled in on some containers from walmart that would fit my needs
5. I emptied the plastic bags and cardboard boxes into my cute new CLEAR containers
6. I used larger cereal dispenser containers for brown rice, and wheat since those are the two grains I use most often
7. I taped the nutrition label from the bags to the bottom of the containers for future reference
If you need a place for containers but don’t want to drive around to 4 or 5 different stores like I did, amazon is a great place. Check out this set of containers, they come in all different sizes so you can store different amounts of different products.
Anyways, here is the finished product – having a good amount of each food in my pantry makes cooking much more pleasant. This way I’m only required to refill every so often down in the basement bulk containers…
-Jodi Weiss Schroeder