Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency, or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! REMEMBER: No going to a store, or spending any money for the entire 7 days! And please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
Your power has been out for days. You’ve been getting by just fine making quick and easy meals from your Food Storage. Today is a very special event (either a birthday, wedding anniversary, whatever you want to call it). You need to pull off cooking one of your family’s favorite meals without power. Spirits are low, and you need to try and lift them up with a good meal. Don’t forget, yesterday’s limitations no long apply so you can use your tap water today.
Today’s Goal: Practice powerless cooking skills and living without power.
- Cook a “fancy” meal for your family for dinner tonight
- Cook that meal without using any power
- Make a dessert to go with your meal
- All other meals can be easy or “no cook” meals
- Do not use electricity AT ALL today (except to report your progress either here on the blog or on Facebook
- Entertain your family and/or yourself after dark with NO LIGHTS
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores, and no restaurants
- Don’t forget, yesterday’s limitations don’t apply, YOU HAVE WATER TODAY
- You have no power for the whole day
- The food from your freezer and fridge have all gone bad by now
- Remember furnaces and air conditioners/swamp coolers will not work without power
- Make the dessert a personalized cake
- Use water from storage to cook and clean up after the meal
- Cook three HOT meals today without using electricity (no cereal and PB&J)