Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency, or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! REMEMBER: No going to a store, or spending any money for the entire 7 days! And please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
A fire, flood, or hurricane is QUICKLY approaching your home. You have just been issued a mandatory evacuation alert. You have 30 minutes from THIS moment to leave your home and your home will NOT be there when you get back. Everything will be destroyed.
Today’s Goal: Practice your evacuation plan and refine your grab list.
- As soon as you finish reading this email, your family has 30 minutes to evacuate
- Use your grab list as a guide for things you will bring (it’s helpful to designate who is grabbing what, even in actual separate lists)
- Bring your 72 hour kits with you because you’ll need them
- Print out today’s report card and bring it with you as you evacuate
- Stay away from your house for 1 hour and during that time evaluate your 72 hour kits, your grab list items, etc. using the report card “questions to ask yourself” as a guide
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores, and no restaurants.
- This task only lasts the 30 minutes you have to evacuate, and the 1 hour you have to stay outside of your home.
- Make your grab list after the fact if you didn’t already have it.
- Evacuate on foot as an advanced alternative.
- Once you have finished your evaluation, you have our permission to “cheat” and go and purchase any missing items, or replenish anything you used during the “evacuation”. But you can ONLY buy emergency kit items, no donuts. You can always shop online for great deals too.