Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency, or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! REMEMBER: No going to a store, or spending any money for the entire 7 days! And please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
Oil prices have skyrocketed causing serious economic crisis and food shortage due to transportation costs. In many areas food is GONE from the shelves. If there is food available it is at ridiculous prices that you cannot afford. Luckily, you have been following our blog and have accumulated quite a bit of food storage. Today you get to USE it!
Goal: Have a PLAN for actual meals you can make from your food storage
- Cook all your meals and snacks using only pantry foods
- Make a complete meal plan for 7 days (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) using ONLY ingredients you already have in your storage
- Do an inventory to determine how long your food supply will last you (use our 3 month supply and long term calculators to help
- SHARING TIME: Take a picture of your meal plan (or type it up) and share it on our Facebook page or in the blog comments
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores, and no restaurants
- You cannot use any fridge or freezer food (assume it has been used up)
- You cannot use fresh produce from your garden (pretend it’s winter)
- You cannot use fresh eggs even if you have chickens (someone stole them)
- Make a meal plan for 30 days instead of just 7
- Add a dessert to your menu tonight as well
- A huge thunderstorm also struck today and your power is out all day. Cook all meals without power!
Make sure your fill out today’s Report Card to see how well you did, to keep track of areas you can improve, to remember things you need to do, and things you need to buy. Use the data to make a game plan to take you to the next level of preparedness, whatever that may be.