Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency, or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! REMEMBER: No going to a store, or spending any money for the entire 7 days! And please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
A drunk driver struck a power line near your house today. Power is out in your entire neighborhood all day long. You must cook meals for your family using no electricity, and make a NICE Sunday dinner! You must also entertain yourself (and your family members) without electronics (the HORROR).
Goal: Practice living without electricity
- Cook all three meals without electricity
- Make a NICE Sunday dinner from scratch (no opening up a can of ravioli)
- Do something FUN that doesn’t involve power
- Do an inventory of your fuel storage, how many meals can you cook with the fuel you have stored?
- Review one of our powerless cooking classes (online class or recorded live class)
- SHARING TIME: What tools/fuel did you use to cook without power today? Share a picture or description on our Facebook page or on the blog comments!
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores, and no restaurants
- DO NOT USE POWER AT ALL TODAY (with the exception of posting your comments about today’s challenge, hehe)
- There is a big storm going on outside and you can only cook indoors
- Your pipes froze during the night so you have to use stored water as well
Make sure your fill out today’s Report Card to see how well you did, to keep track of areas you can improve, to remember things you need to do, and things you need to buy. Use the data to make a game plan to take you to the next level of preparedness, whatever that may be.
-Jodi Weiss Schroeder