Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 7 days, we are testing our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! REMEMBER: No going to a store, gas station, or spending any money for the entire 7 days! And please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
The wiring in your house has gone haywire due to an electric fire in your circuit panel. Your stove and the rest of the kitchen circuits have been affected. You cannot cook in your kitchen until a repairman comes out to fix it tomorrow. Keep your fridge closed to preserve your food as much as possible.
Goal: Practice powerless cooking techniques today
- Cook all your meals and snacks today without using electricity
- Wash your dishes by hand (no dishwasher!)
- Make a fuel inventory and estimate how many meals you can cook using the fuel you have on hand
- SHARING TIME: Share a picture of your cooking tool of choice today on our Facebook page or on Instagram (use tags @foodstoragemadeeasy and #7daychallenge)or write up your experiences and what you learned in the blog comments or on our Facebook discussion thread today.
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores, and no restaurants
- You may only open your refrigerator ONE TIME today (choose wisely!)
- You cannot use any appliances in your kitchen to cook
- No plugging in appliances in other rooms (that’s cheating!)
- Make a batch of bread using no electric tools
- Build a simple stove or oven you could use to cook with no power (some ideas and tutorials can be found at this link)
Make sure your fill out today’s Report Card to see how well you did, to keep track of areas you can improve, to remember things you need to do, and things you need to buy. Use the data to make a game plan to take you to the next level of preparedness, whatever that may be.
Remember — This year we are going to be offering the chance to win daily PRIZES for people who are participating in one of the following ways:
- Commenting or posting pictures on our Facebook page
- Loading pictures on your instagram tagging @foodstoragemadeeasy and #7daychallenge
- Commenting on today’s blog post with how you did
- Submitting pictures/stories to us via email at email@example.com
TODAY’S WINNER: Rodger P who posted a number of pictures on our facebook wall today of his cooking tools. Great job and thanks for sharing.
Email us at info@ foodstoragemadeeasy .net to get your prize