Saturday, September 23
Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For 3 days, we are “PRACTICING” our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans. Each day will bring a NEW mock emergency or situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! REMEMBER: No going to a store, gas station, or spending any money for the next 3 days! Please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation.
War. We are under attack and we are attacking. It’s scary out there! All the uncertainty has caused an economic meltdown. The country is in turmoil, utilities are disrupted (electricity is down but plumbing is still working for now), gasoline is no longer available. With stores being emptied out for weeks we must use our long term food storage and really focus on how to live in an extended emergency situation. We’ve also heard that gangs of rioters are roaming the country. It’s time to think about how we can protect ourselves.
Goal: PRACTICE a long-term powerless emergency situation
- Prepare all your meals without using electricity today.
- Make a loaf of bread from start to finish without electricity (this video shows how we did it in a previous year).
- Watch our webinar on how to plan a year supply of food.
- Update your long term food storage calculator with your current inventory levels. We have 2 different types of calculators. The basic and basic plus (that adds more variety).
- Educate your self and make a plan about protection in times of crisis. Here is a link to series we did on the topic a couple years ago.
- Review safety procedures and precautions with your kids.
- Double check your first aid supplies and medication as hospital are either crowed or shut-down. Getting to them is DANGEROUS anyways.
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores, and no restaurants.
- DO NOT USE ELECTRICITY AT ALL TODAY.
- Do not use your car today.
- Do not eat any foods that are not on your long term food storage calculator (you CAN use the long shelf life freeze-dried foods we recommend on our Thrive food storage calculator if you wish)
- Make a one week meal plan based off of your long term food storage foods.
- Cook your meals only indoors as there is some serious weather problems outside.
- Calculate how many meals can you cook based on the fuel that you currently have. Use our fuels handout for a guideline on calculating.
MAKE SURE to visit the group page on Facebook to discuss your progress and share tips. It’s a great place to learn from other people’s experience and knowledge.
We will also be posting a lot on instagram (@foodstoragemadeeasy) over the next few days. Come join the fun there with hash tag #fsme7daychallenge