Welcome to the 7 Day Challenge. For the next 5 days, we are “PRACTICING” our Emergency Preparedness and Food Storage Plans during this mock emergency. Each day will bring about a new component to the situation that will test at least one of the reasons “WHY” we strive to be prepared! Please feel free to adapt the scenarios to fit your own family and situation. REMEMBER: No going to a store, restaurant, gas station, or spending any money for the next 5 days! We’ve got to make it a challenge!
Remember, in order to receive each day’s emergency scenario in your email you need to sign up for the 7 Day Challenge email list.
DAY 2: PRACTICE (Saturday, September 22nd)
CHEMICAL WARFARE! Horrific chemical bombs have been released all across the country. The bombs contain an herbicide that has ruined all crops and rendered the land unusable for growing food outside. The food you currently have in your home is ok, but the water supply has been contaminated until filters can be installed in the water treatment plants. It’s not safe to go outside and it’s even being recommended to wear a face mask to avoid breathing any fumes.
Daily Tasks and Limitations
- Turn off your main water supply for the day so that the contaminated water does not enter your house (view video tutorial).
- You must cook all of your meals (and drink) only stored water.
- Clean all of your dishes using only stored water (practice water conservation tricks)
- You must find a way for you (and your family if applicable) to bathe or shower today.
We don’t know when the water supply will be usable again so no putting it off.
- Keep yourself (and your children if applicable) entertained INSIDE all day today.
- Make a list of indoor activities you could do if this goes on for an extended period of time.
- Calculate how much water you used today, how long can you live on what you have stored?
- Fill out your daily worksheets (see below).
- Share your experiences today over in the facebook group.
- For this day, and ALL days of the challenge: no spending money, no going to stores or gas stations, and no restaurants.
- DO NOT USE RUNNING WATER AT ALL TODAY.
- You cannot go outside, your kids cannot go outside.
- Wear an N95 or N99 mask all day today.
- Whatever your family was wearing at the time the bomb struck has been contaminated. You must do a load of laundry by hand and use boiling water to sterilize your clothing.
- To conserve water, use a sanitation kit rather than flush stored water down the toilet.
Print out the worksheets below and add items you need to do, to learn, and to buy as you find holes in your preparedness plans throughout the week.
Check back first thing in the morning or subscribe to be notified of the next challenge!
MAKE SURE to visit the group page on Facebook to discuss your progress and share pictures and tips. It’s a great place to learn from other people’s experience and knowledge.
I will also be posting a lot on instagram (@foodstoragemadeeasy) over the next few days. Come join the fun there with hash tag #fsme7daychallenge